The successful applicant will become a part of our production team which seeks to be a highly effective and flexible team producing the finest coffees in the world. The individual will be expected to learn and perform all of the tasks and activities associated with operating a coffee roasting facility.
- Employment Status: Full time, Worker Owner track employee
- Hours: Variable
- Starting Salary: $14.59/hour
- Benefits: Health/dental/vision insurance coverage, vacations, holidays, sick days, eligibility for worker ownership
- Department: Production
- Reports to: Lead Coffee Roaster
- Must love coffee
- Experience in coffee highly desirable
- An interest in the mission of Equal Exchange
- Experience with or interest in working for a cooperative organization preferred
- Must work well in a team environment
- Machine maintenance experience highly desirable
- Experience in food production environment a big plus
- Mechanical/Electrical reasoning skills highly desirable
- Basic math and conversion skills
- Ability to solve problems
- Attention to detail
- Fanatic about producing a quality product
- Ability to create and adapt systems
- Computer literate
- Ability to lift 75 lbs
- Push/pull 1400 lbs using supplied equipment
- Frequent bending, twisting required
- Applicant must be able to stand for the entire shift
Duties and Responsibilities:
Production: (approx. 90%)
a. staging green coffee to meet daily production schedules
b. batch roasting coffee to spec set by QC Manager
c. work with QC to adjust roast profiles and blends as needed
d. coordinate with packaging team to pack out roasted product
e. performing QC protocols as required by QC manager
f. conformance to production and administrative procedures
g. continual learning and development for quality and process improvement
a. coordinate the palletizing of floor loaded green coffee
b. entering green coffee into inventory systems
a. packing cases on packaging line as necessary
b. palletizing cases as necessary
c. other tasks as necessary
a. periodic roaster cleaning
b. preventative maintenance of facilities equipment
c. other facilities management tasks as assigned by supervisor
a. Participate in Production Cuppings
b. perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor
Personnel & Worker Ownership/Fair Trade Development (approx. 10%)
- Participate in staff, team, department, and educational (Exchange Time) meetings.
- Understand our producer partners, trading policies, and the Fair Trade movement.
- Understand and participate effectively in our worker cooperative model.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and answers to the following questions:
1. How would this position impact Equal Exchange’s mission to help get small farmers what they want?
2. Give an example of a project that you had to complete from start to finish.
3. What qualities do you think EE values in the products we sell?