Five Steps to Start an Equal Exchange Buying Club
Make a difference for small farmers around the world and pay less for your favorite organic and Fair Trade foods when you build community with a buying club.
GATHER your GROUP
You and your friends can benefit from wholesale prices from Equal Exchange. Consider reaching out to:
- Family or friends who appreciate Fair Trade and organic coffee, chocolate, tea or foods.
- Members of your congregation, book club, social justice group
Tip: Host a coffee or chocolate tasting for your group, office, or neighborhood when you introduce the idea of the buying club. Not only will it make it easier for your customers to decide what to order, but we've found that once people taste our chocolate, they are likely to want a regular supply!
Once you have a group together, select a coordinator and a treasurer.
- Decides which products your buying club will offer from among Equal Exchange's wide range – we've got suggestions below for how to choose!
- Takes individual orders from members.
- Places your group's order with Equal Exchange -- see the details of how this is done below.
- Distributes products to members.
- Loves coordinating projects and talking to people.
- Collects payment from members.
- Pays Equal Exchange within 14 days of each order.
- Loves numbers and sending the occasional payment reminder.
CHOOSE your PRODUCTS
Visit shop.equalexchange.coop to see our product range (please note that you will not see wholesale pricing until you create an account). Would you like a colorful catalog to browse through and pass around? Request one here or by calling 774-776-7366.
Buying clubs must purchase full cases of products to qualify for wholesale pricing. Coffee, cocoa, tea, nuts, and dried fruit come 6 items to a case. Chocolate bars and olive oil are 12 items per case. You are always welcome to purchase individual items at retail pricing with your wholesale order.
For your first order, we suggest starting with some of Equal Exchange's most popular coffees and chocolates:
- Organic Mind, Body & Soul Coffee
- Organic French Roast Coffee
- Organic Love Buzz Coffee
- Organic Decaf Coffee
- Organic Panama Extra Dark Chocolate
- Organic Dark Chocolate with Caramel Crunch & Sea Salt
- Organic Chocolate Minis
ORDER your products
First, gather individual orders from club members. Use our order form, or create your own that includes only the products your group orders.
Tip: Especially if your buying club is small, consider requiring that members purchase products in full or half-case quantities to minimize leftovers.
Then, with your list of orders in hand, place your order:
Your shipment will arrive within 10 business days of your order. When products arrive, have a consistent system for distribution. Be sure to collect payment when people pick up their orders, if you do not require members to pre-pay.
Why not make the pick-up time a chance to enjoy each other's company? You could hold a chocolate tasting or a coffee break.
Enjoy your good deals, your good deeds, and place the order all over again when your coffee supply is running low!