- Type: Full time, regular position (~45 hours/week)
- Salary: Dependent on experience
- Benefits: 100% individual health insurance premium coverage; vacation, holidays and sick days; simple IRA plan with 2% of salary matched by Oke USA
- Location: Equal Exchange Headquarters, West Bridgewater, MA
In 2006, three entrepreneurial organizations came together to create Oke USA. Their goal was to introduce small farmer, Fair Trade bananas to the US market. Today, Oke USA operates as the produce importing arm of Equal Exchange, importing fresh bananas, banana puree, and avocados. We invite you to join our small and dynamic team to grow Oke USA’s impact and mission. Together we can create a more just food system and a healthier planet. More Information: http://beyondthepeel.com/ & http://equalexchange.coop/
Duties and Responsibilities
Sales, marketing and education (60%):
- Build and maintain relationships with existing accounts and customers; Participate in store visits, trainings, events, and grassroots marketing to build store and consumer awareness of brand mission; Seek new sales opportunities for avocados, bananas, and banana puree in new and existing territories
- Provide support on coordination of weekly fruit supply to ripeners and distributors through domestic logistic, fruit procurement, sourcing, ocean transportation, quality control, customs, U.S. transport; pricing and financial analysis
- Work with the Oke USA team to manage new sales, supply chain development and creative thinking around building alternative Fair Trade supply chains
- Ability to manage complex logistics
- Problem solver
- Team player
- Ability to work independently
- Time management skills
- Ability to relocate to Boston / Providence area
- Willingness to travel
- Ability to work under high stress in a fast paced environment
- Attention to detail alongside the ability to think big picture
- Commitment to making a difference and passion for issues related to sustainable agriculture and alternative food systems!
- Flexibility and willingness to continuously learn by experience. This job may evolve as Oke USA grows and evolves
- Spanish language skills
- 2 or more years in produce
- Experience with perishable produce logistics
- Experience with Latin American farmer cooperatives
- Experience working in social-justice, food systems, and/or other mission based work
Email a cover letter, resume and brief answers to the three application questions below to: email@example.com
1. If you were a small scale banana farmer, what would you want out of a relationship with Oke USA?
2. The top five banana companies (Dole, Chiquita, Noboa, Fyffes, Fresh Del Monte) account for more than 80% of world banana market. Oke USA operates at a minute scale in comparison. What are the some of the challenges associated with this difference in scale and how would you approach those challenges?
3. Oke USA must compete with other produce companies on the most conventional terms while also carrying out our Fair Trade mission. What do you bring to a company with this challenge?