Job Status: Full time regular position (~45 hours/week)
Salary: Dependent on experience
Benefits: 100% individual health insurance premium coverage, vacation, holidays and sick days, simple IRA plan with 2% of salary matched by Oke
Location: Equal Exchange Headquarters, West Bridgewater, MA
In 2006, three entrepreneurial organizations came together to create Oke USA. Their goal was to introduce small farmer, Fair Trade bananas to the U.S. market. Today, Oke USA operates as the produce importing arm of Equal Exchange, importing fresh bananas, banana puree, and avocados. We invite you to join us. Together we can create a more just food system and a healthier planet. More Information: http://beyondthepeel.com/ & http://equalexchange.coop/products/bananas
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Logistics (75%): Coordinate weekly fruit supply from banana producers to U.S. ripeners and distributors; coordinate fruit procurement, producer relations, ocean transportation, quality control, customs, U.S. transport, and domestic logistics; perform pricing and financial analysis
- Sales, Marketing and Education (15%): Build and maintain relationships with existing accounts; implement grassroots marketing efforts to build store and consumer awareness of brand mission through demos, store visits, social media, print, store staff trainings, educational lectures
- Team (10%): Work with the Oke team to manage new sales, supply chain development and creative thinking around building alternative fair trade supply chains
- Ability to manage complex logistics
- Problem solver
- Team player
- Ability to work independently
- Time management skills
- Ability to relocate to Boston area
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally
- Ability to work under high stress in a fast paced environment
- Attention to detail alongside the ability to think big picture
- Commitment to making a difference and passion for issues related to sustainable agriculture and alternative food systems!
- Spanish language skills (strongly preferred)
- 2 or more years in produce
- Experience with perishable commodity logistics
- Experience with Latin American producer groups
Email a cover letter, resume and brief answers to the three application questions below to: email@example.com
- If you were a small-scale banana farmer, what would you want out of a relationship with Oke USA?
- The top five banana companies (Dole, Chiquita, Noboa, Fyffes, Fresh Del Monte) account for more than 80% of world banana market. Oke USA operates at a minute scale in comparison. What are the some of the challenges associated with this difference in scale and how would you approach those challenges?
- Oke USA must compete with other produce companies on the most conventional terms while also carrying out our Fair Trade mission. What do you bring to a company with this challenge?