ProductsEqual Exchange is the leading Fair Trade brand of food and beverages in the United States.
We offer one of the world's largest selections of fairly traded coffee: 80 choices, including 36 single-origin coffees, 59 certified organic selections, and 5 different package sizes from 1.5 oz to 5 lbs.
Tea, chocolate, bananas & other products
- 12 Organic fairly traded bagged teas - 95% sourced from small farmer co-operatives
- Organic fairly traded hot cocoa mix & spicy hot cocoa mix
- Organic fairly traded baking cocoa powder
- 9 Organic fairly traded 3.5 oz chocolate bars & chocolate "minis"
- Organic fairly traded sugar packets, the first on the U.S. mark
- Organic fairly traded almonds (raw, roasted & tamari-roasted)
- Organic fairly traded bananas
- Organic fairly traded extra virgin olive oil
- Fair Trade Geobars - 3 flavors, 50% Fair Trade content
Commitment to Farmers and Fair Trade
- First U.S. food or beverage company to adopt the international Fair Trade standards (1991)
- Fair Trade Certification ― 100% of our coffee, cocoa, chocolate, sugar and bananas are certified Fair Trade.
- Credit―In 1995 Equal Exchange became one of the first U.S. coffee importers to actively provide pre-harvest credit to the small farmer co-operatives. In 2011 we helped provide over $1,000,000 in affordable credit to our coffee farmer partners.
- Fair Trade Premiums paid over the conventional coffee market from 2000 through 2012: $10,000,000+
- Fairly traded coffee imported in 2012: 6,975,000 pounds
- Number of small coffee farmer co-op partners: 26 co-ops in 12 countries (Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Uganda, Ethiopia, Indonesia)
- Other farmer relationships ― Equal Exchange purchases fairly traded tea, cocoa, bananas and other foods and ingredients from approximately 20 small farmer co-ops in 17 countries:
Latin America: Dominican Republic (cocoa), Panama (cocoa), Peru (cocoa & bananas), Ecuador (cocoa & bananas), Chile (honey, blueberries), Paraguay (sugar)
Africa: Zambia (sugar), South Africa (rooibos), Madagascar (vanilla)
Middle East: Egypt (chamomile & peppermint), Palestinian occupied territories (olive oil)
Asia: Pakistan (apricots), India (tea), Sri Lanka (tea), Thailand (rice),
Global North: France (sea salt), U.S./ California (almonds)
Commitment To Organics
- 95% of the 7 million pounds of coffee we import annually is certified organic, making Equal Exchange one of the nation's largest purveyors of organic coffee.
- 100% of our tea, cocoa, chocolate, sugar, bananas, olive oil and almonds are certified organic.
- In 2007 Equal Exchange worked with others to successfully overturn a USDA ruling and protect U.S. market access for hundreds of thousands of small-scale organic farmers around the world.
Company Statistics & Financial DataAverage annual growth, 1986-2011: 29%
2011 Sales: $46,819,000
Full-time employees: 120
Members* of our worker cooperative: 103
(*Employees must work one year before becoming eligible to join)
Equal Exchange is one of the largest worker cooperatives in the United States, and, we believe, the world’s largest worker-owned coffee roasting facility.
- West Bridgewater, Massachusetts (HQ)
- Boston, Massachusetts (café)
- St. Paul, Minnesota
- Portland, Oregon
- Seattle, Washington (café)