The LWR Coffee Project is an innovative way to help people in need through Lutheran World Relief. As Christians we can address a consumer dilemma by buying coffee that is fairly traded. Through the project, farmers in Latin America, Africa and Asia earn a fairer share of income, have access to services that are otherwise unavailable, and gain a trading partner they can trust, a fair trade organization called Equal Exchange. At the same time, congregations in the U.S. enjoy fellowship and learn more about the world, its economy and our part in it.
It's like drinking a cup of justice, and justice can taste outstanding. Our fellowship has grown from 30 to 75 minutes and the only thing that has changed is the coffee we serve and LWR's endorsement of it."
- Pastor Timothy Bernard Messiah Lutheran Church Marquette, MI
In congregations, women's groups, youth, social ministry or hospitality committees might sponsor the LWR Coffee Project. Then, as your parish enjoys this high-quality coffee, take time to learn more about its impact on the people who grow it. Read about small-scale farmers in the developing world and the ways in which LWR is helping them. Discuss issues of social justice in the global marketplace and take action in the spirit of love. Long-term parish commitment has sustained LWR projects for more than 50 years. With such commitment, we can also make a difference in this new way.
LWR works in relief and development in some 50 countries. Address: 700 Light St., Baltimore, MD 21230-3850, Tel: (410) 230-2700. Website: http://www.lwr.org.
How to Order
ON THE WEB:
The easiest way to order for your congregation, office or organization is on the web at the LWR Coffee Project Web Store.
BY MAIL OR FAX:
Download the LWR Coffee Project Wholesale Catalog (in pdf format).
Download an order form for the Lutheran World Relief Coffee Project (in pdf format).
To receive an order form and information in the mail, e-mail your address to email@example.com.
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 774-776-7340.
What You Can Do
- Serve fairly traded coffee, tea and cocoa at church events and during fellowship hour, and make it available to parishioners for home use.
- Offer gift baskets of fairly traded products for new members, holiday presents, or other occasions.
- Create fundraising projects offering fairly-traded coffee, tea, or cocoa. Share the proceeds with people overseas via your church hunger appeal or LWR.
- Discuss Fair Trade issues in adult forums and with youth, men's and women's groups. Provide local businesses with information about offering fairly traded coffee from Equal Exchange.
- Order additional resources by calling 1-800-LWR-LWR-2. The video "Grounds for Hope", copies of the LWR Coffee Project brochure, promotional materials, and more information about LWR are available.