The UCC Coffee Project is a way for your congregation to join hands with communities in the developing world. As Christians we can address a consumer dilemma by buying coffee that is fairly traded. Through the project, farmers and their families gain more control over their lives, earn a fairer share of income, have access to credit and technical support, and gain a trading partner they can trust, a fair trade organization called Equal Exchange. At the same time, your congregation can begin to learn about the impacts of our consumer habits and how to advocate for more just global economic policies for coffee producers, small farmers, and workers throughout the world.
In your church, a women's, men's or youth group, or social action committee can sponsor the UCC Coffee Project. Then, as your congregation enjoys this delicious coffee, take time to learn together about its impact on the people who grow it. Read about the lives of coffee farmers and their families, discuss issues of justice in the global marketplace and take action in the spirit of love.
The UCC Coffee Project is a partnership of the UCC Justice and Witness Ministries (JWM) and Equal Exchange. JWM, one of the four Covenanted Ministries in the United Church of Christ, empowers individuals and local congregations across the nation to do advocacy for justice in their communities and in the world.
Join our Interfaith partners who support Authentic Fair Trade.
How to Order
ON THE WEB:
The easiest way to order for your congregation, office , or organization is on the web at the Equal Exchange Web Store.
BY MAIL OR FAX:
To receive an order form and information in the mail, email your address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
What You Can Do
- Serve fairly traded coffee, tea and cocoa at church events, during fellowship hour, in the office and at home. Buy coffee for congregational use or together with other church members for home use.
- Create fundraising projects offering fairly traded coffee, tea, cocoa and chocolate. Raise funds for a congregational project in your community, or share proceeds with Justice and Witness Ministries.
- Order additional resources such as the UCC Coffee Project brochure by calling Equal Exchange at 774-776-7366. Pamphlets, table tents, posters and other educational materials are also available from Equal Exchange and can be included with your coffee order.
- United Church of Christ Coffee Project Bulletin Insert
- Introduction to Fair Trade, Equal Exchange, and the UCC Coffee Project (PowerPoint presentation, 2.6Mb)