The UMCOR Coffee Project is an innovative way to reach out to small-scale farmers in the developing world while enjoying fellowship and an excellent cup of coffee. As Christians we can address a consumer dilemma by buying coffee that is fairly traded. United Methodist congregations that participate are helping small scale farmers in Latin America, Africa and Asia earn a fairer share of income, obtain access to credit and technical support, and gain a trading partner they can trust, a fair trade organization called Equal Exchange.
Fair Trade presents the faith community with a chance to make a real contribution towards the creation of a new life-centered economic model — one based on the biblical principles of justice, cooperation and sustainability."
- Rich Aronson, Peace with Justice Project
In your congregation, a women's group, youth group, mission or peace and justice committee might sponsor the UMCOR Coffee Project. Then, as your congregation enjoys this high-quality coffee, take time to learn more about its impact on the people who grow it. Read about coffee farmers and the ways in which the church is helping people like them. Discuss issues of justice in the global marketplace and take action in the spirit of love. United Methodist Churches have sustained UMCOR's ministries of relief and development for more than 60 years. With such commitment, we can also make a difference in this new way.
For more information, visit http://new.gbgm-umc.org/umcor/work/hunger/, call 212-870-3877 or write to UMCOR Coffee Project, Room #330, 475 Riverside Dr., New York, NY 10115.
Join our Interfaith partners who support Authentic Fair Trade.
How to Order
ON THE WEB:
The easiest way to order for your congregation, office , or organization is on the web at the Equal Exchange Web Store.
BY MAIL OR FAX:
To receive an order form and information in the mail, email your address to email@example.com.
What You Can Do
- Serve fairly traded coffee, tea and cocoa at church events and during fellowship hour, and make it available to members for home use.
- Create fundraising projects in your church offering fairly-traded coffee, tea, cocoa, and chocolate bars. Offer gift baskets at a church or community bazaar. Share the proceeds with your church hunger committee or UMCOR's World Hunger/Poverty Advance #982920-4.
- Discuss Fair Trade issues in adult forums, with youth, men's and women's groups.
- Spread the word about Fair Trade: Provide local businesses with information about offering fairly traded products from Equal Exchange.
- Order additional resources such as the UMCOR Coffee Project brochure by calling Equal Exchange at 774-776-7366. Pamphlets, table tents, posters and other educational materials are also available from Equal Exchange and can be included with your coffee order.