Packaging supervisor has the primary responsibility of managing the coffee packaging operation. He/She will work in a team of people to manage the induction of roasted coffee, grinding, and packaging of coffee to meet Equal Exchange’s inventory needs. The primary duties include: supervision, machine operation, inventory management and production reporting. Job requires frequent bending, twisting and lifting.
- Employment Status: Full time, regular non-exempt employee on worker-owner track
- Hours: 10am – 6:30pm
- Starting Salary: TBD
- Benefits: Health/dental/vision insurance coverage, vacations, holidays, sick days, eligibility for worker ownership
- Department: Purchasing
- Report to: Production Manager
- Responsible for: Packaging operations
- An interest in the mission of Equal Exchange
- Experience with or interest in working for a cooperative organization preferred
- Detail Oriented
- Strong communications skills; oral and written
- Bilingual, Portuguese-English strongly desirable
- Manufacturing experience highly desirable
- Experience with manufacturing software desirable
- Food processing experience desirable
- Computer literate
- Supervision experience required
- Ability to lead teams
- Ability to create and adapt systems
- Mechanical and Electrical Skills desirable
- Ability to lift 40lbs
- Push/pull 1400 lbs using supplied equipment
Responsibilities: (approx. 90 – 100%)
- Responsible to meet the daily/weekly production schedule
- Supervise regular and temporary packaging workers
- Operate Packaging machinery
- Produce product to QC spec
- Perform QC protocol for packaging as appropriate
- Proactive recommendation for process and quality improvements
- Coordinate with roasting team to pack out roasted product
- Ensure compliance with federal, state labor and safety laws and regulations
- Comply with HACCP and GMP protocols
- Coordinate routine PM for packaging machinery with production mechanic
- Continual learning and experimentation for quality and process improvement
- Accountable for reporting and tracking production inventory; packaging and raw materials
- Accountable for accurate reporting of production in appropriate systems
- Other job-related responsibilities and projects as needed.
Personnel & Worker Ownership/Fair Trade Development (approx. 0 – 10%)
- Participate in staff, team, department, and educational (Exchange Time) meetings.
- Understand our producer partners, trading policies, and the Fair Trade movement.
- Understand and participate effectively in our worker cooperative model.
To apply please provide your resume and answers to the following questions:
1. How would this position impact Equal Exchange's mission to help get small farmers what they want?
2. Give an example of a project that you had to complete from start to finish.
3. What qualities do you think Equal Exchange values in the products we sell?
E-mail to: email@example.com