The successful applicant will become a part of our production team which seeks to be a highly effective and flexible team working with the finest coffees in the world. The individual will be expected to learn and perform many of the tasks and activities associated with operating a coffee roasting facility. This position would be for our 2nd shift at our West Bridgewater, MA headquarters.
- Employment Status: Full Time, Worker-Owner Track Position
- Hours: 10am – 6:30pm (2nd shift)
- Starting Salary: Available upon interview
- Benefits: Health/dental/vision insurance coverage, vacations, holidays, sick days, eligibility for worker-ownership
- Department: Roasting and Production
- Report to: Packaging Supervisor
- Must love coffee
- Must work well in a team environment
- Passionate about the mission of Equal Exchange
- An interest in the mission of Equal Exchange
- Experience with or interest in working for a cooperative organization preferred
- Must be able to read, speak and comprehend English
- Machine maintenance experience highly desirable
- Experience in food production environment a big plus
- Mechanical/Electrical reasoning skills highly desirable
- Basic math and conversion skills
- Ability to use basic quality measuring instruments
- Ability to solve problems
- Attention to detail
- Fanatic about producing a quality product
- Ability to create and adapt systems
- Computer literate
- Ability to lift 75lbs
- Push/pull 1400 lbs using supplied equipment
- Frequent bending, twisting required
- Applicant must be able to stand for the entire shift
Responsibilities: (approx. 90%)
A. Packaging Machine Operation
- Operating and monitoring packaging equipment such as fillers, labelers and blending equipment
- packing cases on packaging line
- palletizing cases
- coordinate with roasting team to pack out roasted product
- periodic machine cleaning
- preventative maintenance of facilities equipment
- other tasks and projects as assigned by supervisor
B. Quality Assurance
- conformance to production and administrative procedures
- performing QC protocols as required by QC manager
- continual learning for quality and process improvement
C. Materials Handling
- Assist in staging and loading of raw materials
Personnel & Worker Ownership/Fair Trade Development (approx. 10%)
- Participate in staff, team, department, and educational (Exchange Time) meetings.
- Understand our producer partners, trading policies, and the Fair Trade movement.
- Understand and participate in our worker cooperative model.
Please provide your resume and answers to the following questions, and email to: email@example.com
- Give an example of a project that you had to complete from start to finish?
- Describe a situation when you went "above and beyond" at work: What did you do? Why?
- How would your former co-workers describe you?
- How does this position in production help Equal Exchange fulfill its commitment to small farmers?