The primary responsibility of this position is to grow sales in a given territory by maintaining relationships with existing customers and seeking new sales opportunities. This person will approach their sales work through self-motivated means and independence. An EE sales representative must embody the principles of the mission while clearly communicating the authentic difference in the market. A salesperson must have strong communication skills and be comfortable representing Equal Exchange in public forums. As a member of a learning organization, a salesperson must be committed to continuous learning in all aspects of the business while also developing the ability to create and lead trainings.
This position requires representing Equal Exchange in the appropriate areas surrounding one of the following locations and candidates must live or be willing to live in the surrounding vicinity: West Bridgewater, Philadelphia, Washington DC, or Raleigh-Durham. The EE sales rep position is one that brings with it much independence. A successful salesperson will have the skills necessary to effectively operate autonomously and creatively while maintaining exceptional communication skills within the organization.
Employment Status: Full-time, regular, Worker-Owner Track
Hours: 40-45 hours/week
Starting Salary: $33,400+ depending on experience
Benefits: Health/dental/vision insurance coverage, vacation time, holidays, sick days, eligibility for worker ownership
Report to: Sales Manager
- Ability to communicate well and problem solve with customers, team members and staff
- Ability to effectively prioritize time and responsibilities
- Ability to rebound from rejection
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Previous sales experience in Natural Foods and/or Food Service preferred
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Flexibility and willingness to continuously learn by experience
Sales and Account Management (approximately 75% of time)
- Accountable for individual sales goals as determined by the Sales Director
- Travel 4 to 6 days per month (as determined with supervisor)
- New Sales Development: Prospecting, cold calling, evaluating, negotiating, proposing and closing new accounts. Manage, qualify and prioritize incoming sales inquiries.
- Account Development: Understand customers’ needs and problem solve. Maintain and deepen relationships with current customers. Design and lead product specific trainings and events while communicating the Equal Exchange mission. Design, implement and evaluate promotional and marketing strategies.
- Order Taking and Customer Service: answering calls, taking accurate orders, problem solving and responding to customer inquiries.
- Track and manage leads and existing customers using appropriate internal systems
- Understand and work comfortably with equipment
- Maintain quality standards throughout the supply chain to consumers
Team Development (approximately 15% of time)
- Continual learning and analysis about the market, Equal Exchange's relation to it, and how to market our authentic difference.
- Help develop, implement and refine Sales team strategy and systems
- Support team members locally and regionally as needed or directed
- Continuous training in sales, products, producers and equipment
Personnel and Fair Trade Development (approximately 10% of time)
- Participate in staff, team, departmental and educational (Exchange Time) meetings
- Develop an understanding of Equal Exchange’s producer partners and trading model
- Understand and participate effectively in our worker cooperative model
- Flexibility to engage in other tasks as needed by the organization
Please send a cover letter, resume and answers to the application questions below to email@example.com
- Equal Exchange works with small-scale coffee farmers in countries such as Peru and Nicaragua. What do these farmers want from a relationship with Equal Exchange? How can Equal Exchange effectively help them to develop the resources to solve their pressing problems?
- A new Sales Representative’s goal is to sell an additional $120,000 worth of products – or about 17,000 pounds of coffee – in a year. This goal includes sales growth in current customers’ coffee programs as well as sales to new customers that the Sales Representative secures. How would you go about reaching this goal? Why should Equal Exchange feel confident that you can reach this goal?
- What would you do as a Sales Representative in the following situation? You are approaching a Food Co-op that sells and brews coffee from their local roaster. While the buyer believes in Fair Trade, they think that their commitment to a local roaster better serves their community and provides a great avenue to discuss sustainability. How would you convince them to consider Equal Exchange’s coffee program?
- Equal Exchange is hiring for sales representatives in the following locations, please indicate which location you are applying for. You may apply to more than one of these locations. Note that West Bridgewater is EE headquarters and that Philadelphia, Washington DC and Raleigh-Durham are remote locations.
- West Bridgewater, MA
- Philadelphia, PA
- Washington DC
- Raleigh-Durham, NC