We’re looking for someone to join our small regional sales and distribution team in the Twin Cities, MN. It’s a full-time, worker-owner track position, with eligibility for full membership in our cooperative after one year. We offer (employer-paid) health insurance on your first day of work, sick and vacation days, and, after new hires have become worker-owners, patronage dividend (depending on profitability), a vote and the opportunity to be involved in the governance of our co-op.
We need someone who can:
- Find satisfaction in working a physical and fairly repetitive job.
- Switch from warehouse work to handling customer calls as needed.
- Pay attention to details while keeping up the pace of work.
- Work well independently AND as part of a team.
1. Job Description
- Full-time, regular non-exempt position, worker-owner track
- Hours: 40-45 hours per week
- Salary: $14.30 hourly starting wage
- Benefits: health/dental/vision insurance coverage, vacations, holidays, sick days, eligibility for worker ownership
- Reports to Midwest Warehouse & Customer Service Manager
- Responsible to be proficient in: All Direct Store Delivery work, all Warehouse packing and shipping work, all Customer Service work, Powered Industrial Truck operation.
- An interest in the mission of Equal Exchange.
- Ability to communicate and problem solve effectively with customers and team members
- Ability to manage time and responsibilities.
- A desire to learn and contribute to the success of the organization.
- Enjoy working as part of a team.
- An ability to do extensive lifting is required (up to 70 lbs).
- An ability to pay attention to detail and work accurately.
- Previous experience in cooperatives is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English.
- Requires a valid driver’s license.
- Willingness to be flexible and do other tasks as needed to support the team, as requested by the supervisor.
Warehouse Operations (80% +/-)
- Order-Picking: Organize pick-sheets for fastest, most accurate picking. Follow special requests of the sales team.
- Shipping: Prepare orders for parcel, CPW, and freight shipments in time for daily deadline. Fill out all paperwork necessary for each outbound shipment.
- Stocking & Clean-up: Restock daily, ensuring product rotation. Keep warehouse clean and well-organized. Remove/repack damaged items from picking locations. Routinely take out warehouse garbage and recycling.
- Certified driver of powered industrial trucks (power jack & forklift).
DSD (5-10% +/-)
- Regular DSD route, and routes as needed.
- Front and face EE product in delivery accounts. Merchandising, filling bins, proper
- Report back to Sales Rep observations and issues relating to accounts. inventory rotation for participating accounts.
Customer Service Back-up (5-10% +/-)
- Creative problem-solving mindset.
- Answer phones, take orders, and process credits accurately.
- Familiarity with EE product line, and equipment.
- Understand customer needs and build customer confidence in our ability to care for them.
- Communicate Equal Exchange’s mission.
- Familiarity with inventory and order-processing software.
Personnel and Fair Trade Development (up to 10%)
- Participate in weekly staff, team, department, and educational meetings (Exchange Times)
- Understand our producer partners, trading policies, and the Fair Trade movement.
- Understand and participate in our worker cooperative model.
As a business dedicated to economic justice for small farmers worldwide, our worker-owners, and communities in the U.S., we encourage people of color, women, queer and trans-identified folks to apply. We believe that our differences strengthen our co-op, and that we only reach true consensus by empowering dissent and dialogue.
Please send your resume and answers to the following questions to email@example.com, by Friday, July 29.
1. Why are you interested in becoming part of our small regional team?
2. How do you see Equal Exchange’s role in the current fair trade market, both nationally and regionally?
3. This position involves repetitive physical labor: fulfilling orders, unloading deliveries, working in temperature extremes, occasionally doing deliveries, as well as being available to hop in on phone-based and email customer service when needed. Please share some relevant past work experience that shows your qualifications for these conditions.