In 2006, three entrepreneurial organizations came together to create Oke USA. Their goal was to introduce small farmer, fair trade bananas to the US market. Today, Oke USA now operates as the produce importing arm of Equal Exchange, importing fresh bananas, avocados, and banana puree from Latin America. We invite you to join our small and dynamic team to grow Oke’s impact and mission. More Information: http://beyondthepeel.com
- Employment Status: Full time regular position
- Hours: 40-45 hours/week
- Benefits: Health and dental insurance coverage, vacations, holidays, sick days; simple IRA plan with 2% of salary match
- Location: Equal Exchange Headquarters, West Bridgewater, MA
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Logistics (70%):
- Manage complex weekly international and domestic logistics for Oke’s avocado supply chain from Latin America to US distributors and stores
- Coordinate orders, truck/ocean transportation, customs, domestic logistics, quality control
- Co-manage projections, procurement, and inventory management
- Co-manage customer relations and distribution
- Perform pricing and financial analysis
- Sales and Education (20%): Build and maintain relationships with existing customers and accounts; implement grassroots marketing efforts to build store and consumer awareness of brand mission through demos, store visits, social media, print, store staff trainings, educational lectures
- Team (10%): Participate in staff, team and educational meetings and activities. Understand producer partners, trading policies, and the Fair Trade movement. Work with the Oke team to engage in team level sales, supply chain and creative thinking around building alternative fair trade supply chains.
- Ability to manage complex logistics
- Spanish language fluency or high proficiency
- Problem solver
- Good communication skills
- High proficiency with excel
- Team player
- Ability to work independently
- Time management skills
- Ability to relocate to Boston / Providence / West Bridgewater area
- Ability to work under high stress in a fast paced environment
- Attention to detail alongside the ability to think big picture
- Commitment to making a difference and passion for issues related to sustainable agriculture and alternative food systems!
- Flexibility and willingness to continuously learn by experience. This job may evolve as Oke grows and evolves
- Experience with perishable produce logistics
- Experience with Latin American farmer cooperatives
- Experience working in social-justice, food systems and/or other mission based work
To apply, email a cover letter, resume and brief answers to the three application questions below to: email@example.com
- If you were a small scale avocado farmer, what would you want out of a relationship with Oke USA?
- The avocado industry is dominated by large multinationals that control a majority of the global avocado market. Oke USA operates at a minute scale in comparison. What are some of the challenges associated with this difference in scale and how would you approach those challenges?
- Oke USA must compete with other produce companies on the most conventional terms while also carrying out our fair trade mission. What do you bring to a company with this challenge?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Oke USA / Equal Exchange supports equal employment opportunity for all classes of individuals, regardless of age, race, color, national origin, citizenship status, disability, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, economic status, veteran status. Additionally, people who are oppressed or are denied power and privilege in society are strongly encouraged to apply.