The successful applicant will become a part of our production team which seeks to be a highly effective and flexible team producing the finest coffees in the world. The individual will be expected to learn and perform all of the tasks and activities associated with operating a coffee roasting facility.
- Employment Status: Full time, Worker Owner track employee
- Hours: Variable
- Starting Salary: TBD
- Benefits: Health/dental/vision insurance coverage, vacations, holidays, sick days, clothing and footwear allowance, eligibility for worker ownership
- Department: Production
- Report to: Production Manager
- Must love coffee
- Experience in coffee highly desirable
- An interest in the mission of Equal Exchange
- Experience with or interest in working for a cooperative organization preferred
- Must work well in a team environment
- Machine maintenance experience highly desirable
- Experience in food production environment a big plus
- Mechanical/Electrical reasoning skills highly desirable
- Basic math and conversion skills
- Ability to solve problems
- Attention to detail
- Fanatic about producing a quality product
- Ability to create and adapt systems
- Computer literate
- Ability to lift 75 lbs
- Push/pull 1400 lbs using supplied equipment
- Frequent bending, twisting required
- Applicant must be able to stand for the entire shift
Duties and Responsibilities
Production: (approx. 90%)
- staging green coffee to meet daily production schedules
- batch roasting coffee to spec set by QC Manager
- work with QC to adjust roast profiles and blends as needed
- coordinate with packaging team to pack out roasted product
- performing QC protocols as required by QC manager
- conformance to production and administrative procedures
- continual learning and development for quality and process improvement
- responsible for loading of green coffee into storage systems to meet daily production needs
- entering green coffee information into inventory systems
- ensure accurate reporting of materials usage
- support Packaging team when necessary
- contribute to periodic roaster cleaning
- contribute to preventative maintenance of facilities equipment
- other facilities management tasks as assigned by supervisor
- Participate in Production Cuppings
- perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor
Personnel & Worker Ownership/Fair Trade Development (approx. 10%)
- Participate in staff, team, department, and educational (Exchange Time) meetings.
- Understand our producer partners, trading policies, and the Fair Trade movement.
- Understand and participate effectively in our worker cooperative model.
Please provide your resume and answers to the following questions by email to email@example.com:
1. How would this position impact Equal Exchange's mission to help get small farmers what they want?
2. Give an example of a project that you had to complete from start to finish.
3. How does this position in production help Equal Exchange fulfill its commitment to small farmers?