Equal Exchange is a Fair Trade organization and coffee roaster headquartered in West Bridgewater, MA, founded in 1986. Our mission is to create more authentic Fair Trade relationships between farmers and consumers. We bypass the conventional marketing system by cutting out middlemen and buying directly from farmer co-operatives. Due to the complex level of training involved with a worker-owner co-operative, Equal Exchange asks for a two-year commitment to employment.
The preferred locations for the open position are below, although we will consider other locations as well:
- West Bridgewater, MA
- West Springfield, MA
- Cleveland, OH
- St. Paul/ Minneapolis, MN
- Madison, WI
- Employment Status: Full time, exempt position on the worker-owner track.
- Hours: 40-45
- Benefits: Health/dental/vision insurance coverage, paid vacations, paid holidays, paid sick days, eligibility for worker ownership
- Department: Sales
- Report to: Sales Manager
- Responsible for: Work with our customers to build successful programs in the market, including at food co-ops, stores and cafes. This includes discussing products, pricing and promotions, and building relationships. Take and process orders. Deliver products to select customers who are in your region.
- An interest in the mission of Equal Exchange
- Experience with or interest in working for a cooperative organization preferred
- Ability to communicate well with customers, team members and staff
- Ability to problem solve
- Ability to do extensive lifting (up to 40lbs)
- Ability to effectively manage time and responsibilities
- Ability to work independently
- Valid driver's license
Account Development & Sales
- Selling in product/developing product lines with customers at stores, by email, by phone, or in person
- Communicating the value and impact of the Equal Exchange trade model
- Identifying and pursuing opportunities at accounts
- Fielding customer orders and inquiries in support of the East sales team
Delivering to Stores
- Safe and timely driving to locations
- Building relationships and coordinating with store staff around promos and displays
- Merchandising product in store
- Following safety guidelines in store (specifically around Covid-19)
- Keeping vehicle clean and organized
Order Processing and Fulfillment
- Coordinate logistics and communicate product inventory
- Order entry
- Warehouse work as needed, including packing orders and receiving transfers
- Event support and planning
- Covering for other team members in a small office/warehouse
- Willingness to do other tasks as needed to support the team as requested by the supervisor
Personnel & Worker Ownership/Fair Trade Development
- Participate in staff, team, department, and educational (Exchange Time) meetings. Understand our producer partners, trading policies, and the Fair Trade movement. Understand and participate effectively in our worker cooperative model.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and answers to the following to:
1. Describe your image of a strong relationship between a store and Equal Exchange's Sales Team.
2. What is the most important function of a small warehouse?
3. How do Equal Exchange supply chains impact farmers and consumers?