Equal Exchange Espresso, operated by the nation's oldest Fair Trade organization, is opening a café in the Seattle area. Our objectives are to promote Equal Exchange’s mission to support small-scale farmers by providing high-quality food & beverages and creating an inclusive and welcoming space for customers and staff.
Equal Exchange supports equal employment opportunity for all classes of individuals, regardless of age, race, color, national origin, citizenship status, disability, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, economic status, veteran status. Additionally, people who are oppressed or are denied power and privilege in society are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Employment Status: part-time, hourly
- Hours: 25-30 hours/week (weekends and holidays required)
- Pay: $14/hour, plus tips
- Reports to: Café Manager
- Start Date: March 2019
A Lead Barista is responsible for maintaining a professional and positive environment through leadership and support of café baristas and management. Friendly, efficient service for customers is paramount.
- Able to work independently and as a member of a team
- Able to lead by example and communicate well with customers & co-workers
- Able to create an inclusive and welcoming space for customers and co-workers
- Able to effectively problem solve with customers and co-workers
- Previous espresso experience
- Previous cash handling experience
- Previous espresso training experience preferred
- Able to stand for 6-8 hours (with breaks)
- Able to lift 40 pounds overhead
- Passionate about Equal Exchange's mission
- Reliability and punctuality a must!
- Make customers feel valued in a community environment
- Facilitate effective and positive communication amongst coworkers
- Assist with barista training in all areas of café operation
- Perform active quality control to ensure efficient and high-quality drinks and service
- Ensure completion of cleaning schedules
- Schedule preventive and as-needed maintenance of equipment and facilities
- Place orders on a regular and as-needed basis; reconcile invoices and deliveries against orders
- Monitor food sales and waste and adjusting orders accordingly
- Accurately operate POS system, reconcile drawers and prepare tills
- Communicate purchasing and promotional needs with store partners
- Demonstrate knowledge of Equal Exchange’s producer partners and trading model
Please direct any questions to Alison, Café Manager, at email@example.com
To apply to be an Equal Exchange Lead Barista, please complete the following application: