Equal Exchange is a Fair Trade organization and coffee roaster headquartered in West Bridgewater, MA. Founded in 1986, our mission is to create more Fair Trade relationships between farmers and consumers. We have long-term, mutually beneficial trade partnerships with small farmer co-operatives around the world who supply delicious coffee, tea, chocolate, cocoa, sugar, olive oil, nuts and dried fruits. We're looking for a Food Safety Coordinator, responsible for ensuring that Equal Exchange's food safety programs meet or exceed all federal, state, and local food safety regulations to protect the health and wellbeing of everyone in our supply chain: farmers, workers, and customers. This is a full time, worker-owner track position based out of West Bridgewater, MA, with occasional travel to Equal Exchange warehouses, suppliers, and co-packers.
- Employment Status: Full Time, Regular Exempt Position, Worker-Owner Track
- Hours: 40 hours/week
- Starting Salary: $42,000
- Location: West Bridgewater, MA. Some travel to other offices required.
- Benefits: Health/dental/vision insurance coverage, vacations, holidays, sick days, eligibility for worker ownership
- Department: Quality Control
- Report to: Quality Control Manager
- Responsible for: Ensuring Equal Exchange’s food safety programs meet or exceed all federal, state, and local food safety regulations to protect the health and wellbeing of everyone in our supply chain: farmers, workers, and customers.
- 3+ years working in food quality/safety or related field.
- Knowledge of food safety regulations, including FSMA and HACCP.
- Ability to communicate well and problem solve with staff, auditors, regulators, customers.
- Ability to keep large quantities of complex information from multiple sources up to date, organized and accessible.
- Self-driven with ability to work independently.
- Ability to work collaboratively with different teams.
- Ability to effectively prioritize time and responsibilities.
- Flexibility and willingness to continuously learn by experience.
- High capacity for learning and using a wide range of software and technologies.
- HACCP Certification preferred.
- An interest in the mission of Equal Exchange.
- Experience with or interest in working for a co-operative organization preferred.
Document Control Administration
- Develop and maintain food safety policies and procedures to ensure compliance with regulatory and certification standards.
- Manage systems for organizing documentation related to food safety regulations and certifications.
Food Safety Training and Education
- Keep current on knowledge of food safety regulations and laws, and inform Equal Exchange staff about changes to food safety programs.
- Develop and maintain employee training programs in food safety awareness and sanitation.
Monitoring and Verification
- Meet with auditors and regulatory enforcement personnel when they inspect Equal Exchange facilities. Provide compliance information and respond to any concerns.
- Act as the lead investigator for customer complaints due to product safety issues. Follow up with Customer Service and product category managers to resolve issues.
- Coordinate product testing and environmental monitoring programs.
- Perform food safety audits at Equal Exchange supplier and co-packer facilities as needed.
- Occasional travel to Equal Exchange warehouses, suppliers, and co-packers.
- Provide support for other certifications and audits as needed.
Food Safety Team Lead
- Work with the Equal Exchange Coffee Team to ensure that the coffee manufacturing facility in West Bridgewater, Mass. is in compliance with GFSI audit requirements.
- Develop and manage warehouse quality programs for all Equal Exchange warehouses that store raw material ingredients or finished goods.
- Advise Equal Exchange purchasers on food safety related issues, including COA requirements, supplier expectations, shelf life, and allergens.
- Coordinate with groups at Equal Exchange to ensure new initiatives meet regulatory and food safety standards.
- Identify and manage outside food safety experts.
Production / QC Support
- Participate in production cuppings and chocolate panel.
- Assist with food safety-related NAV functions (Item Trace, Recall, Customer Complaints, Holds, etc.)
- Other projects as determined with Production & QC teams.
Other job-related responsibilities and projects as assigned.
Personnel & Worker Ownership/Fair Trade Development (approx. 10%)
- Participate in staff, team, department, and educational (Exchange Time) meetings.
- Understand our producer partners, trading policies, and the Fair Trade movement.
- Understand and participate effectively in our worker co-operative model.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please answer the following application questions and submit your responses with a cover letter and resume to Beth Ann Caspersen, Equal Exchange Coffee Quality Control Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 31, 2019
- What do you see as the biggest food safety hazard in the production and distribution of Fair Foods?
- Tell us about a training you led and why it was successful in 300 words or less.
- How does this job help Equal Exchange fulfill our commitment to small farmer coops?
Equal Exchange supports equal employment opportunity for all classes of individuals, regardless of age, race, color, national origin, citizenship status, disability, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, economic status, veteran status.