Equal Exchange is a leader in the Fair Trade coffee movement in the United States. We are a worker cooperative, owned by our employees. Since 1986, we have been demonstrating the viability of worker co-ops and authentic Fair Trade.
Help us achieve our mission! We're looking for someone to join our small regional distribution team in Portland, OR. This is a full-time, worker-owner track, warehouse position. We offer employer-paid health insurance on your first day of work, sick and vacation days. Pay rate for this position is $15/hour.
Application deadline: July 10, 2020.
We need someone who can:
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Lift up to 70 lbs and do other physical warehouse tasks
- Use computers, hand-held devices, and motorized equipment for order picking, packing and inventory (training provided)
- Pay attention to detail and work accurately
- Communicate and problem solve effectively with co-workers and customers
- Manage time and responsibilities
- Learn and contribute to the success of our co-op and our mission
Why should you apply?
- You want a physically active job at a mission-driven organization that is building a democratic food system.
- Generous paid time off and health, dental, and vision insurance benefits
- Safe, respectful workplace policies that protect the health of workers
- Free coffee, tea & cocoa (and sometimes chocolate!)
- Worker-Ownership after 1 year: Profit/loss sharing, educational curriculum, mentor program
As a business dedicated to economic justice for small farmers worldwide, our worker-owners, and communities in the US, we would like black, indigenous, people of color, women, queer and trans-identified folks to apply. We believe that our differences strengthen our co-op, and that we only reach true consensus by empowering dissent and dialogue.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and answers to the following application questions to email@example.com by July 10, 2020
- In your opinion, describe a well-run warehouse. Be specific.
- You've been hired as an Equal Exchange West worker-owner track employee. You've discovered there are days when you're not as busy as others in normal work activity. There are no packages to pack, the phones are quiet and your supervisor is absent. What comes to mind?
- Describe a situation when you went "above and beyond" at work. What did you do? Why?
- Employment Status: Non-exempt (hourly) position; worker-owner track.
- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Location: Portland, Oregon
- Benefits: Health/dental/vision insurance coverage, vacations, holidays, sick days, eligibility for worker ownership
- Department: Support Operations
- Report to: West Warehouse Manager
- Responsible for: General warehouse operations
- An interest in the mission of Equal Exchange.
- Ability to communicate and problem solve effectively with customers and team members.
- Ability to manage time and responsibilities, be flexible & manage several tasks at once.
- A desire to learn and contribute to the success of the organization.
- Enjoy working as part of a team.
- Good computer skills.
- Previous experience in warehouse work is desirable but not mandatory.
- An ability to lift up to 70 lbs on a regular basis is required.
- An ability to pay attention to detail and work accurately.
Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to:
- Order-Picking: Pick orders effectively and accurately, using pick sheets and handheld device.
- Shipping/Receiving: Prepare orders for UPS and freight shipments in time for daily deadline. Fill out all paperwork necessary for each outbound and inbound shipment.
- Stocking & Clean up: Restock daily, following systems set up to ensure product rotation. Keep warehouse clean, organized. Remove/repack damaged products from picking locations. Regularly inspect exterior of building for graffiti (paint over as needed) and keep exterior free of debris such as litter and leaves.
- Equipment & Maintenance: Become a certified driver of powered industrial trucks (power jack & forklift). Day to day maintenance of warehouse equipment.
- Other: other tasks as needed to support the team as requested by the supervisor on duty.
- Personnel & Worker Ownership/Fair Trade Development: Participate in staff, team, department, and educational (Exchange Time) meetings. Understand our producer partners, training policies, and the Fair Trade movement. Understand and participate effectively in our worker cooperative model.
Equal Exchange supports equal employment opportunity for all classes of individuals, regardless of age, race, color, national origin, citizenship status, disability, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, economic status, veteran status.