March is Equal Exchange Bananas Month! We are proud to be able to share our successes and challenges with you during March. Here are a few accomplishments.
- Equal Exchange sold 11 million servings of bananas
- $1.6 million was paid directly to small-scale banana farmers in Peru and Ecuador
- 350 co-ops and independent grocers and 11 million people consumed Equal Exchange bananas
(See the impact graphically presented here.)
This huge impact starts with Equal Exchange working directly with small-scale banana farmers and ends with YOU, buying and enjoying these bananas. Simply by selecting Equal Exchange bananas instead of a conventional banana, you are helping to shift control from multinational corporations into the hands of small-scale producers. That is real power.
- Read The True Cost of Bananas to learn more about why Equal Exchange bananas are so important.
- Let us know what you are up to in March! Did you dress in a crazy banana costume and dance around? Did you make a tasty recipe with Equal Exchange bananas? Did you learn about the difference between conventional and Fair Trade bananas? Did you hold a fun taste test?
- Watch videos, read articles and learn more at: http://beyondthepeel.com/resources.html