- 2/3 c. light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2/3 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter
- 1/2 c. vegetable shortening
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract, optional
- 1 tsp. vinegar, cider or white
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 2 c. King Arthur Unbleached All-purpose Flour
- 2 c. Equal Exchange Organic Bittersweet Chocolate Chips (70%) or Semisweet Chocolate Chips (55%)
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease two baking sheets, or line them with parchment paper.
1) In a large bowl, combine the sugars, butter, shortening, salt, vanilla and almond extracts, vinegar, and baking soda, beating until smooth and creamy.
2) Beat in the egg, again beating until smooth. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl with a spatula to thoroughly combine ingredients.
3) Mix in the flour, then the chocolate chips.
4) Use a spoon to scoop 1 1/4" balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving 2" between them on all sides; they'll spread while baking.
5) Bake the cookies for 11 to 12 minutes, until edges are chestnut brown and tops are light golden brown. Remove from the oven, and cool on the pan until they've set enough to move without breaking. Repeat with the remaining dough.
Adapted from King Arthur Flour's Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe.